Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pee-Wee Camp

This week I am teaching basketball to 38 5-8 year old girls (with 3 helpers of course)! Whoa!! This is my second summer to direct ORU's "Pee-Wee" Basketball Camps, but this group is by far the biggest I've had. I generally love working with kids and still enjoy babysitting even though I'm 24, but keeping a smile on my face during these first two days of camp has been difficult. Some of the girls listen and follow directions well, but many others do not. Further more, they ask to go to the bathroom all the time, which is extremely disrupting! I mean, really, how many times do you need to use the bathroom in 4 hours (with 2 breaks to boot)?!?!

Pee-Wee camp has always been fun because we play lots of games, such as Car Lot, Basketball Musical Chairs, Queen of the Court, and Dribble Freeze Tag, which means I get to act like a kid again! It is just hard this time to get all 38 girls to do the same thing at once - without complaints. I feel like I'm counting heads and making sure everyone is in one piece more than I'm playing the games.

We have two days of camp left, and I have resolved to have a better attitude and more enthusiasm. Nobody likes a grumpy coach! I really enjoy having the opportunity to work with kids and share about God and His love for them (that's why I'm so thankful I went to a Christian university). I need to remember to ask God for strength and energy and for a reminder about why I'm really out on the court - to be a Christian role model for these young girls!

Anyway, I know this was kind of a random post, but I needed to get the frustration off my chest, and I needed to take a second to remember why I love working Pee-Wee Camp in the first place! Thanks for listening! Have a great week!

P.S. I'll try to post a few pics from camp tomorrow. The girls are adorable!

1 comment:

The Malones said...

Welcome to my world!!! 20 third graders for 9 months!! That is why I enjoy that email that goes around about teachers that gives a laundry list of everything people expect out of teachers (i.e. teach kids how to read, write, do math, teach them how to solve problems appropriately, know when they have medicine, know where they need to be every second (the list they have is much better!!) and it ends saying, "You expect me to do all these things, and not allow me to pray!!!" (Speaking of teachers working in a public school.) Hilarious! You are doing a great job!! Keep it up!