Goin' to keep on blogging while I'm still motivated... :)
One of the things I have learned to enjoy the most about living in my own apartment is...
COOKING!
When I graduated from high school, my mom gave me a book of recipes with all of our family favorites. Throughout college, I didn't have much use for it because the dorm kitchen was not very user-friendly (okay, it was usually nasty). I would have loved to have had a place to cook during college; I avoided the cafeteria (except for breakfast!) like the plague. Anyway, since moving into my own place 22 months ago, I have been working my way through the recipes. Every time I try to make something for the first time, I make numerous calls to my mom. The questions I ask her are quite hilarious. I'm sure my mom wonders how I can cook at all! One of the first things I made was my favorite - Mexican Chicken - for my 25th birthday party. I invited my friends over for dinner and game night, and I made the food. (Everyone thought this was stupid: why not make someone else cook on your birthday?!) I must have made 10 calls to my mom while trying to prepare the food, even after watching her make it over 100 times at home! Thankfully, the Mexican chicken, queso, and guacamole all turned out fantastically, and everyone loved it!
Since that night, I have tried my hand at making green bean casserole, chili, Grandma's (AKA tater tot) casserole, Nancy's hamburger bean casserole, pizza casserole, and taco lasagna. I also found a great homemade mac & cheese recipe online! In the dessert category, I have made 7-layer cookies, microwave chocolate "oat"rageous snack cake (my fave!), peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, candy cookies, puppy chow, and dirt cake. Everything has turned out pretty great. I have yet to make ham rolls, baked potatoes, and peas (my brother's favorite) or spaghetti with meatballs (my dad's favorite).
Tonight I made my first "Seaworthy Casserole" (AKA tuna noodle casserole). It was mighty tasty, especially with crescent rolls. I only made ONE call to my mom, but I probably asked five questions. :) Hey, I'm making progress!
As you may have noticed, a lot of the recipes in my book are for casseroles. I really like casseroles. I like the way all of the flavors mix together. I'm definitely NOT one of those "my food CANNOT touch on my plate" people. I like eating steak and potatoes or chicken and rice, but I prefer a good 'ole casserole! This is probably why Mexican food (lots of yummy, mixed-up flavors) is my favorite, followed closely by supreme pizza.
Do you have any great (and fairly easy) recipes that you'd like to share? Would you like to try any of the "Fithian Family Favorites"? ;) I'll gladly share... we don't have any secret recipes!
2 comments:
Too tired to share any faves, but I will soon. I just wanted to say that I do the same thing with my mother, so I laughed when I read that you do too! Also- so I didn't respond right away to your wall post, BUT if you'd like to come for Easter, you are more than welcome! Nancy and Brett will be here so it would be great to have you around! Lots of love...Gina
I'm meant "sorry" instead of "so" oops!
Post a Comment